Skills and Resume
What I bring to the table
Software Engineer - August 2022 - February 2023
- Converted project from Material UI to Tailwind CSS, developed custom, responsive and accessible components while working with team designer and using Figma for mockups and design.
- Launched a complete UI rework of the product and shipped complete game concept from start to finish using React, TypeScript, TypeORM, Node, Express, AWS, PassportJS, React Router.
- Troubleshot and debugged code to resolve technical issues and improve application performance.
- Utilized Git for version control and continuous integration and deployment processes, including advising on CI/CD process and taking initiative to complete a proof-of-concept for CI/CD with a Vercel & Heroku combo versus Railway.
Full Stack Developer - May 2021 to July 2021
- Lead developer on YourRoomz working with a cross-functional team of a Product Manager, designer and another developer to design, spec and create a MVP product.
- Collaborated with the design team to implement responsive designs that improved user experience and with the Product Manager to ensure the correct features were being developed and deployed.
Front-end and WordPress Developer - 2016 to 2022
- Manage the design and development of websites for local, small businesses.
- Design landing pages, handle search engine optimization and develop lead generation strategies, implement changes, and manage updates and maintenance.
Frontend Development and Libraries
When it comes to Front End Development, I love React. I started learning it a little over a year ago. It has been nothing short of a breath of fresh air coming from WordPress and PHP, and I'm enjoying the change of pace.
Over the course of learning React, I've worked with many common tools in the ecosystem. I've built sites with Redux and Redux Toolkit and managed routes with React Router. I've built apps that connect with an API, whether that's one I wrote for the app itself or a 3rd party. I've used fetch, axios and React Query.
Like, I imagine, most of us who have learned React somewhat recently I started with create-react-app. With later projects I've worked with Next.js and Remix. Using both I've explored Server Side Rendering and Static Site Generation (this site was build with Next.js and SSG).
My most recent projects are written in TypeScript. I regret not learning TypeScript sooner, but I am definitely enjoying the challenge and the results of working with TS over plain JS.
APIs, Backends and Databases
APIs and Serverless Functions can be the backbone of React apps, helping them perform their magic. Whether it is a full Node and Express based API, Serverless Functions or testing with Postman, I can work with APIs and tailor them to the project needs.
SQL based databases are definitely more my bread and butter, having spent some time working with MySQL while doing WordPress development. I've moved to using PostgresSQL or MongoDB in more recent projects. I've also used Firebase and FaunaDB.
When it comes to working with databases, I absolutely love Prisma. Great docs, great features and full TypeScript support -- what else is there? I've worked with Mongoose and Sequelize
Tools and Other Good Stuff
Tailwind CSS is awesome, and I love using it on projects. I've also used Material UI and Bootstrap/React Bootstrap in addition to CSS and SASS. Docker is a great tool for building and deploying projects while working with a team and different environments. And of course git and GitHub -- two essential tools for working as team.
Last updated April 15, 2022. Please drop me a line if you have any questions.